Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The problem with time is that it always runs out.

CAPES [something empowering] The problem with time is that sometimes it heals and sometimes it hurts. But it always runs out. More often than not, I spend too much time in the hurt when what I really need to do is move on to heal. Spend your time wisely.

COFFEE [latest trend or addiction] Gnocchi: boiled, then rolled in olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes at 425, the serve with a cream sauce or pesto. Crispy on the outside, doughy on the inside. Yum.

THE COLOR ORANGE [something noteworthy] In writing a grad paper on the Penal Substitution model of atonement, I inserted a personal story about my momma that I'd like to share. Enjoy:
Like most kids when they’re young, I would ask my mom random questions. I will never forget a particular question that I once asked her. And what’s more - I will never forget her response. I asked my mom: “Mom, what if a stranger came and grabbed me from the front yard while I was playing. What would you do?” Her response: “Well, Annie, I would run as fast as I could after them, and beat them up until they gave you back to me where you belong.” At hearing this, I remember being filled with two emotions: amazement and assurance. I was amazed at the fact that my mom would run (for in all her years as my mom, I’d never seen her run) and more importantly, I was assured by her unconditional love for me. Never in my mind, not then as a child and not now reflecting back, did I regard her motives to hurt the stranger as evil. Her motive, even if it did include an act of violence to get me back, was grounded in love. And in that love, there is no room for evil.
[and this is how I tied it into the paper]
Is this not the same story we find when we approach the cross and atonement? When we think of the cross in light of Penal Substitution, we should not be left with the sense of violence, but of love.

2 comments: